This year I wanted to grow a garden. I have tried growing gardens in the past. I tried the two years we lived in Virginia. All I got were some herbs. I tried last year in our back yard. All I got were some green onions and a giant oregano plant. But, this year I wanted a real vegetable garden! My mom gave me this book to read and helped me pick a perfect place where we get the most sun.
One fine spring day I ripped out one of our useless plants on the side of our house and began to dig out an 8x3 foot garden space. Steve wasn't as enthusiastic about the whole idea since I had put so much work into gardens in the past and they never turned out. But, when he came outside and saw what I was trying to accomplish on my own, he took pitty on me and grabbed a shovel. And a wheelbarrow from our neighbor. It would have taken me all night if it wasn't for his help!
I went to two different home improvement stores and spent what seemed like a small fortune on soil and supplies. I went to a local nursery for a certain type of seeds and with a little sun and water my garden actually started to grow!
And then it was GIANT!
Zucchini
Romaine lettuce
Green onions
Peppers
Tomatoes
Can you believe this is only two tomato plants??
Green beans
Spinach
I think the spinach was my favorite. It came on first and I juiced it or froze it and used it in smoothies.
My mom found me these beautiful blueberry bushes so I ripped out two more bushes on the side of our house so we could put them in.
They actually produced some berries this year!
They actually produced some berries this year!
The kids (especially Jakob) loved them.
I have been obsessed with my garden. I love going outside and picking a zucchini and some green onions and making an omelet. It has totally been worth all the hard work and cost. And next year it will be a lot easier.
Except I want to rip out those last two bushes on either side of my garden and get big pots for my tomatoes, some strawberries, and some herbs!
Don't tell Steve.

1 comment:
I'm going to have to come to you for advice--I'm horrible at gardening! haha Awesome job, everything looks amazing!
Post a Comment