The other day he said, "Mom when I was a baby in your tummy did you hope and pray that I would make good choices at school?" I said, "Yes I did. I have always hoped and prayed that you would make good choices at school." He paused, "But you didn't get that. I have to have a behavior chart." It broke my heart to see how repentant he was. I can tell that his emotional outbursts seem out of his control. He thought he was letting me down. I took him in my arms and told him that we are all trying to make good choices. We are here to learn how to make good choices and I love him no matter what choices he makes.
Last week he told me that every month his school has a quality that they learn about and then they award children who have demonstrated that quality at an awards assembly. Jaxson told me that he has never gotten an award. Unbeknownst to him I had received a letter telling me he was getting an award this month-- for perseverance. He has been trying so hard to make good choices that his teacher wants to recognized him for it. (I told you his teacher is wonderful!) Through this process I have been thinking and praying a lot about how to raise my children the Lord's way. This month I read this wonderful article entitled Raising Resilient Children. We will all experience set backs in our lives. Some are from the choices we make and our own imperfections. Our job as parents is to help our children develop attitudes and the skills of resilience.
Lyle J. Burrup said:
"Here are some recommendations for
how we might apply these principles in our homes:
• Pray to understand your
children’s strengths and how to help them with their weaknesses.
• Be patient and realize that
children need time to develop resilience.
• Strive to understand that
mistakes and failures are opportunities to learn.
• Allow natural, logical
consequences to serve as the disciplinarian.
• Respect children’s decisions,
even if their poor choices lead to lost privileges.
• Refrain from berating children
for breaking the rules.
• Do not discourage effort by
criticizing harshly.
• Rather than praising
accomplishment, encourage and praise effort.
• “Praise your children more than
you correct them. Praise them for even their smallest achievement” (President
Ezra Taft Benson [1899–1994], “The Honored Place of Woman,” Ensign, Nov. 1981,
107).
As we prayerfully work on the
challenging job of raising resilient children, the Lord will bless us with the
guidance and inspiration we need to help them gain the emotional and spiritual
strength to deal with life’s challenges."
This article outlined exactly what we have been trying to teach Jaxson this school year. It's not about perfection. I realized early on in my parenting journey that if my goal as a parent was to raise perfect children, I was going to fail. It's about helping our children develop qualities that will help them be successful in life. Happy in life. And for me parenting is mostly about love.
2 comments:
sweet jaxon. i loved that article too. it came at just the right time for me.
I know I've said this before but it is so true......this is why The Lord sent Jaxson to you. You are the best mom for him! He's a wonderful boy and so loved for who he is.
Post a Comment