Another Mother's Day has come and gone. Usually I think of all the things I want to do (or not do) on Mother's Day and plead with my family to make sure it is a pleasant and stress free day for me. After all don't I deserve it? Isn't that the point of Mother's Day? Just one day where I don't have to hear whining, crying or fighting children. A day where I can sit and listen to my church meetings without being interrupted. A day where I get a well deserved nap. A day that I don't have to cook, clean or do dishes. That is usually what I want on Mother's Day. Do I ever get that? No. Usually Mother's Day comes and goes with a sense of frustration and a little disappointment. It never seems to be a day all about me. This year I had a little epiphany. What do I really want for Mother's Day? A day for myself or a day to enjoy my family? This year I decided to enjoy my family and change my attitude about Mother's Day. I asked Steve for a few specific things such as getting the Jakob a bottle if he wakes up before 7am, taking Jakob out in the hall for sacrament meeting and making breakfast if he wanted something other than left over waffles. The most amazing thing happened. I had a wonderful Mother's Day! Thanks to Jakob falling back to sleep with a bottle we all slept in until 8am then I was woken up by my kids crawling into our bed. (One of my favorite things in the morning.) Steve made breakfast and we tag teamed getting the kids fed and ready for church. I opened a few thoughtful gifts. I enjoyed my church meetings with my kids on my lap. We skyped with my brother, Carl, who is serving a mission in Brazil. We ate dinner at my parents house and I indulged in a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake I had made. It was a lovely day. Not because I had endless amounts of pampering and "me time" but because I spend the day with my favorite people in the world. After all, it is because of them that I am a Mother.
Oh and here is the cutest video you have ever seen.
2 comments:
Wow! That sounds a lot like my past and present mother's day. Glad to be with family but funny how we have to change our attitude to make it a good day. I guess a Mother's job is never done.
I try not to have expectations but even then I get disappointed! hehe I'm glad you had a good day, you're a great mom Delee! Those videos were so cute, within the next year Jakob might be bigger then Ehlana!! haha
Post a Comment