“Life is to be Enjoyed, not just Endured.”

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chili Champion

Our ward had it's annual chili cook-off and bake sale last night. It's to raise money for Scout Camp and Girls Camp. It's the biggest event of the year and quite a serious competition. People are very generous with the food they make and donations they give. Last year was our first year going. I signed up to bring chili not knowing how intense the competition was. I really didn't expect to place but to my surprise I won first place knocking down the usual "Chili King" to second place! I used a white chicken chili recipe from my sister in law. This year I hoped to place again but I wanted to enter a recipe I could call my own. I used to first recipe as a guide but changed the meat, beans, some spices and other things to make it my own. To my excitement I won again! I guess now we'll really have to move before the next chili cook off so I can say I was undefeated. The bake sale was great too with cheese cakes selling for over $50.00 and the highest cake was sold at $79.00. One of the young women made it and her dad bought it at the starting bid of $79.00, that’s what dads are for! Right?!
I thought I'd share the original chili recipe with whoever wants to try it. It's more like a tortilla soup than a thick chili. It's really good so I hope you enjoy it!

"Award Winning" White Chicken Chili

1 lb. chicken cut into chunks
1 med onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbl oil
2 cans Great Northern Beans
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup water (or more)
1 can chopped green chili's
1 can mexi corn
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp pepper
Boil all ingredients
Just before serving add
1/2 cup whipping crème
1 cup sour cream
serve with grated cheese and tortilla chips

4 comments:

Heather Edwards said...

Congrats on being the 2nd year champion. It was definately my favorite chili since I am not a traditional chili eater.

Mike said...

Sounds like a chowder to me Delee. No hard feelings though. Congratulations!

Mike

Mike said...

Like I said in my blog..."I think he is still a little bitter." :-)
WAY TO GO, DELEE!
--Amy

The Smith Family said...

WAY TO GO!!! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...