
Everyone told me that two kids is more than twice the work. Lots of people also told me that the Baby Blues are worse with the second baby. It's not that I didn't believe them, it's just I didn't realize how right they are! Since we've been home from vacation I've been even more tired and lonely. I miss my friend Emily who moved to AZ at the beginning of the summer. My house is not as clean as it used to be. The demands of my kids seem constant. And all I want to do is nap! So my Mom says it sounds like I'm depressed. Me?! Depressed?? I guess I have been. Classic case of the Baby Blues. So, what can I do about it? Last week I decided to change my perspective on life. Despite the facts that I live in a place that I don't like, I have no money, and I have a baby who cries most of the day. My life really is pretty great. So, first things first I planned some fun things to do. I had some friends over for dessert, planned a brunch at our house, and set up a Moms Night out with my Moms club. I leaned on my husband for some support. He's been wonderful and so helpful. I read M. Russell Ballard's talk called Daughters of God. He focused on talking to us young mothers.
He said "I am impressed by countless mothers who have learned how important it is to focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life. If a child lives with parents for 18 or 19 years, that span is only one-fourth of a parent’s life. And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life. It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes. This eternally important work falls to mothers and fathers as equal partners. I am grateful that today many fathers are more involved in the lives of their children. But I believe that the instincts and the intense nurturing involvement of mothers with their children will always be a major key to their well-being. In the words of the proclamation on the family, “Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children”."
Elder Ballard also gives ideas of how we can be better mothers and wives. I love this talk! I understand that one day my house will be clean again! (Even if it's not until all my kids are out!) I began to focus on my family instead of myself. And most importantly to turn to the Lord. I'm feeling a lot better (even though we all got sick last week and the kids were up multiple times in the night!) Minor set back. I can do this. Not only do it but I can enjoy it! I love being a mom, I feel like I was born to be a mom. I truly believe that no success can compensate for failure in the home. I'm also blessed with a husband who is very understanding and appreciative. He fully supports me in being the mother of his children. He tells me all the time that he couldn't be home with the kids all day and do everything I do. I feel the same about his job and providing for the family. That's one of the reasons are marriage is so great. So, this week has been a lot better! Steve has to be in the ER this weekend but next week he has 4 days off! So, we're going to his sister's house in northern VA. I'm glad I have something fun to look forward to. That always helps. All in all my life is pretty fantastic. Sometimes I just have to remind myself of what is really important.
4 comments:
Oh, I'm so sorry you've been feeling a little down, I promise it gets better and better and better! (although some days are still rotten, you just can't avoid that can ya?!) I'm really sad we won't be seeing you in WA, but there will be lots more trips and we'll see you then, thats so exciting for you! Keep up the good attitude, love that talk too! :)
Amen! Amen! Amen!
Thank you so much for that tidbit on Elder Ballard's talk. Gets me so excited for conference coming soon.
It Really Really would be fun to hang out.
Makes me realize how so at the same stage of life we are.
I read your last blog, so I will be looking forward to getting in touch with you soon after you get here. Take Care
TTYS
What a wonderful way to change your perspective on the whole situation and use it as a learning experience. I am very impressed with your assertiveness to make things better in life.
Boy, a lot of what you said sounded familiar. I remember even envying others' "freedom" and just feeling incredibly overwhelmed. It wasn't that I didn't love my girls to pieces, but it was hard! You are awesome to make things happen to create your own silver lining. And, yes, as far as I can say, it gets easier!
I'm sorry I have been so horribly bad about keeping in touch, but it is always great to see your cute kids and what you're up to!
Post a Comment